1. Operationalise the EQA for sputum smear microscopy network in the states in conjunction with /STDCs or IRLSs. Carry out NRL responsibilities of EQA such as Onsite Evaluation (OSE). Panel testing (proficiency testing of lab staff) to ten states at least once in a year for 3-4 days (including one to two districts visits), and make visits as and when required depending on the priorities /necessity to improve and help the performance of labs. Eight. Prepared slides are used for panel testing during the visits.
2. Conducting quality improvement workshops for the state level programme managers with a view to find solutions to EQA related operational and technical problems faced in the field.
3. To implement and verify Random Blinded Rechecking (RBRC) producers and improve the performance of labs based on analysis of the RBRC data in conjunction with STDCs.
4. Capacity building and strengthening the ten state level TB laboratories (STDCs) with respect to proficiency in culture and Drug Susceptibly Testing including second line drugs.
5. Conducting Anti-TB Drug résistance surveillances of priority states involving processing of representative sample of the states to obtain information of prevalence of drug resistance, with a view to support logistics of DOTS – Plus programme under expansion of DOTS and RNTCP and conduct/participate in National Level disease prevalence studies/surveys.
6. The Lab team of the Institute carryout on site evaluation of STDC laboratories of different states and provides necessary guidelines to establish quality laboratory to undertake EQA and DRS studies.
7. Carry out Lab based research studies using modern diagnostic techniques and tools viz., Gene expert, Genetic Analyzer, HPLC for NTMs, LPA and MGIT 960
Upgradation of Infrastructure
On a proposal submitted by FIND on behalf of UNIT AID the Govt. of India
decided to establish an International Centre for Excellence in Laboratory
Training (ICELT) at the National Tuberculosis Institute,
Vision: Establish a state of the art teaching and training facility for
imparting quality laboratory practices for tuberculosis and other opportunistic
infections and promote a healthier
Mission: To support the scaling up of laboratory capacity building in India and Asia by providing hands-on training courses in the diagnosis and monitoring of major infectious diseases such as TB, HIV/AIDS and Malaria.
International Centre for Excellence in Laboratory Training (ICELT) will provide Training to the personnel who are working in about 43 Culture Laboratories in different parts of the Country in Newer Diagnostic Tools for Diagnosing TB & Drug resistant TB. The ICELT was inaugurated on 20th January 2011.